CoA – Call for Expressions of Interest for the role of Lawyer representing the Ethical Interests of the Legal Profession before the Committee for Lawyers of the Commission for the Administration of Justice.
Ref: EOI 2024/001.
The Chamber of Advocates is issuing an expression of interest amongst all its fully paid up members for the role of Lawyer representing the Ethical Interests of the Legal Profession before the Committee for Lawyers and Legal Procurators of the Commission for the Administration of Justice (‘Committee’).
The selected candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Assist in reviewing the ethical complaints received by the Chamber against members of the legal profession. All complaints are to be reviewed in terms of the Code of Ethics for lawyers;
- Communicate with the parties involved in the complaint and fully establish the facts and determine whether the matter can be remedied without further escalation of the matter;
- Communicate findings to the Chamber;
- Determine in conjunction with the Chamber whether the matter is to be referred before the Committee;
- Appear before the Committee to represent the Ethical Interests of the Legal Profession, in cases where it has been established by the Chamber that there is a breach of Ethics;
- Put forward evidence relating to the breach of ethics and make submissions in this regard before the Committee.
Preferred requirements, skills and experience:
- A fully paid up member of the Chamber of Advocates;
- Has held a warrant to practice as an Advocate before the Maltese Courts and Tribunals for at least three years;
- Has experience appearing before Maltese Courts and Tribunals for at least three years;
- Holds an excellent command of written and spoken Maltese Language;
- Be very conversant with the Code of Ethics for lawyers;
- Holds an excellent track record in upholding ethical standards whilst practicing the legal profession and has not been the subject of a complaint during the past three years.
Term and Remuneration:
- The Chamber is offering a service contract for a term of one year with a maximum budget of €6,000 for the whole term.
Any interested candidate is to submit a Covering Letter explaining why s/he is willing to take up the role together with a detailed CV. The applicant is to also submit a financial offer within the abovementioned budget.
The deadline for the submission of the Expression of Interest is 7th February 2024. The Chamber reserves to hold an interview with any lawyer submitting an expression of interest.
All expressions of interest are to be sent at email@example.com